Sunday, February 14, 2010

The 3 Day

I have wanted to do The 3 Day walk for many years now.

The first time I thought about it was when I was working at the pharmacy. I worked in a pharmacy for 7 years, and we say MANY cancer patients there.

When my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer, I thought about it again. She underwent surgery and radiation to remove the cancer cells from her body, and she has been cancer free for a few years now.

When a woman whose blog I have been following for almost two years now was diagnosed with breast cancer, I thought about it again.

The last time I thought about doing the 3 Day walk was during my childbirth classes. There I met Teresa. She is the owner of the company that we hired our doula through. She is a breast cancer survivor.

I was tired of saying to myself "I want to do that one year".. or "someday I will walk in the 3 Day". This year was it!

I contacted Teresa and asked her some questions about how it all works and if it is possible to do the walk while nursing my Little Miracle since he will still be nursing then. Once I realized that it would not be a problem for Stephen to bring Little Miracle to me during the walk, or to pump during the walk, my mind was made up. Teresa said she would love to have me on her team, so I signed up!

I am very excited to be taking the journey. If you have never heard of the 3 Day, let me tell you about all I know so far about it. It is a 3 day walk of 60 miles, intended to raise money for breast cancer. According to the website "Net proceeds from the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure fund innovative global breast cancer research and local community programs supporting education, screening and treatment."

I need to raise at least $2,300. That may seem like a lot of money, but I know I can get there with every ones help. I already got my first donation in, and it feels really good to know that people are behind me on this decision! Every donation, rather large or small, helps me towards my goal.

Check out The3Day.org for more information.

Click here to support me along this journey!



Photobucket

1 comment:

hg said...

Congrats!! I'm doing something similar up here.