Wednesday, June 3, 2009

NT scan

I had my Nuchal translucency scan yesterday morning. It is an ultrasound that looks for markers for Downs and other chromosomal abnormalities. I figured since the molar pregnancy I had last year was a genetic fluke, I would like to have all the tests for this baby, to make sure Little Miracle is healthy.

I picked up my mom bright and early, and we headed down to the hospital. I needed someone to come with me to watch Little Man while Mommy was on the ultrasound table. My husband was supposed to come, but he had a meeting to go to. I figured my mom would enjoy the ultrasound too.

We got there a little too early, and had to wait in the hall for them to open. They told me to come with a full bladder, so I had an over full one! I had to pee so bad it was starting to hurt.

We went back to the ultrasound room and the tech did the scan. She looked around for a bit, took some measurements, then let me pee. THANK YOU!!! After that, the doctor came in and looked around some more. He said the nuchal translucency is in the normal range and with my age we should not be too worried about Downs.

The only thing that scared me is when I glanced over at the doctor and tech. They were both staring at the screen and tilting their heads. Looking for something. So I asked what they were looking for. They said the nasal bone. The doctor then asked the tech if she saw it, and she said no.

As soon as I got home, I googled "missing nasal bone at 13 weeks". Yeah, don't do that! Apparently that is a marker for Downs. They did draw blood, and said they would call me within a week to discuss results of the scan and the blood work. I am trying not to freak out about the nasal bone. In my heart I know everything will be OK. Having a child with Downs will not change a thing, but I would like to know so I can be prepared.

I have been praying a lot, and I am at peace with whatever happens. Like I said earlier, I feel in my heart that this baby is perfectly healthy. I am not going to dread hearing from the doctors. When I do hear something, I will let everyone know!

Here is my Little Miracle at 13 weeks. It is just the head.

Photobucket

No comments: