Friday, January 8, 2010

34 pounds.

Little Man weighs 34 lbs. This means he is incredibly hard to pick up. Means he is growing up. It also means he has almost outgrown his rear-facing car seat.

This makes me sad. Very sad. My Little Man is growing up too fast!

My sister bought me a Britax Marathon car seat what feels like centuries ago. Little Man was about 6 months old. He looked SO tiny in the HUGE seat. She bought it for me with the promise that I would keep him rear facing till the weight limit of the seat. No problem I said!

I have gotten many weird looks when putting my toddler into the car. People see his size and give me a look of "what is she doing??". I have many times wanted to tell people how much safer it is to keep your babies rear-facing, but I just know they will say "oh-well the pediatrician said we could turn him at 20 lbs and 12 months". Yes, that is true. That is the law. But just cause you CAN does not mean you SHOULD. I mean, come on, you can walk on hot coals, but should you? I don't know, I have never done it, but I don't think I would!

I feel like the end of Little Mans "babyhood" is coming! He, I know, is no longer my little 7.5 lb baby. He is growing into a cute, loud, curious Little Man. And this is just part of his transformation. So, tomorrow morning his car seat will be forward-facing in my car. Look out world!

If you want more information on extended rear-facing and the benefits of this practice, check out these links.

All the benefits of rear-facing

CPSafety

Healthy children (linked from the AAP website)

No comments: