Sunday, March 8, 2009

Savannah: Part 2

Friday night we went to Moon River. It is a local brewery. The food was excellent, the service, not so much. Our waitress did not need to be waiting tables. Hubby and I did both find a beer that they brewed that we liked. I liked the cider beer, and he liked the darker one. In Savannah, it is legal to walk around and drink outdoors, as long as your beer is in a plastic cup.
Photobucket

This whole trip I have been telling my husband I wanted to eat at Lady and Sons. For those who don't know, that is Paula Deans restaurant in Savannah. It is next to impossible to get to eat there. I looked online Saturday morning, and saw that they started taking reservations at 9:30 for that days lunch and dinner. We were not sure if he was going to have the whole day off, so we went for lunch. We showed up at 9:30 to this. If you look closely, you can see a green sign hanging down. That is where you make your reservations. This line was only to make reservations. While we were waiting, the line just kept growing.
Photobucket

We got reservations for 11:00, so we walked around a little and showed back up at 10:45 as instructed. We were greeted by the same crowd. We had to stand across the street and wait. At 11:00, a lady came outside and welcomed us, and rang a triangle to signal it was time to eat! We then waited for our name to be called. When it was called, we got a "ticket" that got us in. Here is our "golden ticket" as I called it.
Photobucket

We were seated on the third floor, corner table. It was perfect! I had the lunch buffet (fried chicken, greens, potatoes, meatloaf, salad, etc...) and hubby had the meatloaf sandwich. Little Man enjoyed mac and cheese from my plate, and the garlic cheese bisquits. For dessert, Little Man and I shared some peach cobbler. The food and service were both excellent!
Photobucket

After lunch, we walked back to the car. I took this picture on the walk back. Just a pretty flower box.
Photobucket

We did end up driving back out to Tybee Island for more pictures and some beach fun. Little Man and Daddy played in the sand for almost an hour. They had lots of fun!
Photobucket

Coming back from the beach, I wanted to get a picture of a fountain. They had just dyed them all green to celebrate the upcoming St. Patricks Day.
Photobucket

This tree was in the same park as the fountain.
Photobucket

The last thing I wanted to do was take a ghoust tour. We looked at almost every one that they had. Most were trolley tours, and I just did not feel comfortable having my child in a trolley, not strapped in, with no windows. Just too dangerous for my taste! So we found a walking tour. We met at the cemetary at 7, just at dusk.
Photobucket

Our tour guide was a young lady, dressed in period costume, carrying a candle. She was very knowledgebale about the area. She told us several stories about soliders sleeping in the cemetary and vandalizing it. She said that most of the headstones were vandalized. They would change dates, or break them up and toss around the pieces. I was lucky to get this picture of a perfect looking headstone.
Photobucket

I noticed a bunch of headstones on a wall. I was wondering what they were, and right as I was about to ask, she explained that after the war was over, the townspeople tried to clean up the cemetary. They picked up the headstones, and placed them back were they belonged. The ones that no one remembered where they went, went on the wall.
Photobucket

This cemetary was just one of many in Savannah. Our tour guide was telling us about a Yellow Fever outbreak that Savannah had. She said this cemetary has 666 people burried from this outbreak, but the information plaque says almost 700. They put almost 700 because many people are superstitious.
Photobucket

After the cemetary, we went on a tour of several houses. We were told stories about the people that lived there when they were built, and the horrible death that some suffered. We were also told the stories of people who stay in these houses now, most now turned into inns, and bed and breakfast hotels. We were told about ghosts that will take your undergarments, children running up and down halls when there were no children staying at the inn, and even a ghost cat. It was a very intrestring tour, if you believe in ghosts or not!
Photobucket

I drove home early this morning, so I could make church. Hubby is still on his way home, because he had to return the busses that he was driving.

2 comments:

Gabriele said...

Oh that Ghost Tour sounds AWESOME!! I will have to remember that if we ever go down to Savannah again!
I LOVE that you got to eat at Lady & Son's! That's my plan if we go again too!! I have always wanted to eat there, but we never go to Savannah, lol!! Good to know about the reservations/wait time! LOL!
Sounds like a great trip! The pics are fantastic!!!

Anonymous said...

Like lots of fun! We love Savannah!