Saturday, May 23, 2009

Time Flies When You Are Having Fun


Something Old, Something New,
Something Borrowed, Something Blue,
A Silver Sixpence in her Shoe.


5 years ago today I married my husband. It has been an interesting 5 years. We have moved five times (wow! that's the first time I counted!). We have gone through the deaths of both of our grandfathers, and his grandmother. We have rented our first apartment, and we are in the process of buying our first house. We have gone through the birth of our first child, and our first loss of a pregnancy. We have been through many ups and downs, but I would not change a thing.

Looking back, 5 years ago today, I was excited and nervous. I was finally getting married. We dated for almost 5 years, so it was about time! I spent the night at my moms and we went to breakfast together, a mother daughter ritual. She drove me to the "church" and helped me get ready, along with my bridesmaids.

We got married at Marietta Square and had the reception at the Marietta Art Museum. It was perfect. We planned an outdoor wedding, with no back-up plan. Looking back, I must have been crazy, because May 23rd 2004, was the only day it did not rain in May of that year.

I remember several things very fondly about my wedding. I remember freaking when I found out my groom-to-be was eating pizza only an hour before the wedding. I was afraid he was going to get pizza sauce on his white vest. I remember taking pictures outside the fountain and the gazebo, such a beautiful setting. I remember walking across the street from the art museum to the gazebo, and having traffic stopped. Strangers smiling at me. I remember the look on my grooms face when he saw me walking down the aisle.

I don't remember seeing strangers at our wedding, or hearing the horns of cars honking all around us. I don't remember my bridesmaids brushing ants off of my dress mid-ceremony. I know this all happened thanks to the video of our ceremony.

We had a lot of fun on that day, and never imagined then that we would be where we are now. When we got married, I wanted no children. My husband slowly convinced me that children would be great, and I am very glad that we made that decision. I never imagined we would ever own a home, and while we don't quite yet, if all goes well, we will in the next month. I never imagined all of the things we would get to do together.

Tonight we have dinner plans at a beautiful restaurant, and we have booked a hotel room for just us. It will be our first night with out Little Man. A good friend of mine told me that "HE will be fine, YOU will be a nervous wreck". How true that is. Thanks for that bit of clarity. I know he will be fine, and I am only hoping I can sleep. A few glasses of wine would help me sleep better, but not this year.

Happy 5th Anniversary to my husband, the love of my life, the father of my children. I love you.

Photobucket

No comments: